Tuesday, February 4, 2014

What If the extra weight just magically went away in one night?



That is what my nutritionist asked me today. What a question!
What would I notice first?
What really matters?

My first response was just to imagine the physical relief and lightness of losing this extra 60 or so pounds. I wouldn't feel the heaviness that weighs me down in body -mind- spirit. I might jump out of bed with energy rather that trip and stumble in to the bathroom. ( Ok, so maybe magic weight loss doesn't mean sudden grace and balance.)

Maybe I wouldn't feel the discomfort in my pelvic area or hips or back that I feel every morning when I get out of bed. My shoulders and elbows may not pop and crack as I move around. Maybe I would run my hand down a flatter abdomen and slip in to looser clothes. Hey, better than that, I'd go shopping for new clothes. Cute workout clothes. Then I'd go run a 5 K on the treadmill as I work towards improving my running time. My knees could handle it better back at that lower weight.

I'd have that feeling of pride that I'm healthier and more fit. I like the feeling that I'm a quasi athlete. And it's Fun, more fun when I'm not down and beating up on myself.

She made a good point. It's what I needed to hear.

It was a reminder to me of what I want, really want. See, I've been at that lower weight and felt all those things. I just had to remember what it felt like. I can do this. It isn't impossible.

It was a good little motivating speech.

What IF?

5 comments:

  1. What an awesome post -- and an awesome question! I think I might just think on it and answer it myself one of these days/posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi PJ, Great post!!! A lot of getting to a good weight is remembering a good weight and all of the good feelings and good habits, if a person was ever at a good weight. When I started getting back to a good weight, a flood of memories came back! Yes, I did remember having hours in a row without eating anything, days where eating was very tight...things like that. It gets more and more vivid as you get closer to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful exercise! I'm definitely reflecting on that myself today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me encantan las fotografías, son geniales. Ha estado un regalo el visitar tu bloc, te invito visitar el mio y si te gusta espero que te hagas seguidora.
    Elracodeldetall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete